Covenant Partnership Session 9
Summary: When we live as loved, we are able to use our talents for God’s glory instead of seeking to fulfill our own meaning. Outside of Jesus, we looked to use our gifts and talents to build our own identity (acceptance, security, purpose, value, and significance), but now that we know we have been given a new identity in God through Jesus, we are free to use those gifts and talents for His glory. The Bible says that because of what Jesus has done, each believer has a special gift or gifting that has been given to us through the Holy Spirit. This gift is given for three specific purposes: (1) to bring God glory (2) to encourage and build up others (3) to bring us great happiness, adventure, and satisfaction.
Before you watch the video, ask these questions:
1. What do you know about Spiritual gifts? Do you think you have one?
2. What are the gifts? (Romans 12, I Corinthians 12, Ephesians 4)
3. What do you think are the purpose of the gifts? (1 Peter 4:10, Romans 12:4-6)
Questions for discussion:
1. How do we find out what our God given talents and gifts are?
2. Sometimes we have a hard time discerning what our Spiritual gift is. Rather than make the process of discovering your gift complicated, could it be as simple as learning what brings you joy as you serve others? What type of service brings you a tremendous sense of satisfaction as you do it? (Think about your past experiences, and the times in which you really enjoyed the work that you did)
3. What do you think is your Spiritual gift? Why?
4. Spend some time in your group looking at the “Gospel Explosion”. Every Covenant Partner needs to find a place in the church that they can serve. Not all of us are called to expand into the outer circles of the gospel explosion, but all of us fit into it somewhere. Take some time in your group to discuss the gospel explosion (graphic on following page). Make sure that each person in your group understands it. Answer the following questions:
a. Where do you fit into the gospel explosion?
b. Where can you serve at Redeemer?
c. How can you use your gifts there?
5. After you have found your place in the “Gospel Explosion”, how do you think you can get others involved?
6. How do you think you can use your gifts and talents outside the church? How can you use your Spiritual gift in your home? At work?
7. When it comes to serving, do we ask to be involved or do we wait to be asked? What’s best? What should we be doing?
8. Do you understand how to get involved in serving at Redeemer? What are you going to do at Redeemer to see God glorified, the church edified, and you satisfied?
9. Where can we garner confidence when we are afraid to use our gifts? How can gain confidence to step out and use them?
A question to Prepare you for session 10: Jesus says “where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Where is your treasure?